24/7 Cell Phone: 254-534-6170
We service these cities: Temple, Belton, Waco, Killeen, Lampasas, Copperas Cove, Gatesville, Salado, San Marcos, and all surrounding areas.
Killeen Texas Raccoon Control Situation: How do you remove a raccoon stuck in a dumpster?
The reasons why a raccoon would be in the dumpster are because it may have fallen in or it jumped in while searching for food. If it is stuck it could also mean that it is injured. Raccoons are unpredictable animals so you would not know if it would attack you and therefore, under no circumstances, should you pick up the animal with your bare hands. They also carry the deadly rabies virus so you cannot take the chance of putting yourself in the position to get bitten. Here are some options for removing a raccoon who is stuck in a dumpster:
1. Fill the dumpster with more garbage. This may seem odd but the raccoon would not care, unless it is injured and cannot move. They are very dexterous and can use their paws just like human hands. If you place more garbage in the dumpster, the raccoon should be able to climb and find a way out. If you throw some bags in, you can look in yourself and see if it is helping the raccoon to find its way to the top. They are smart critters so don't be surprised that it knows what it is doing.
2. Place a branch in the dumpster. Raccoons climb trees, walls and basically anything. If you place a branch in the dumpster, sure enough, the raccoon would use it to climb out. Sometimes raccoons are attracted by the scent of food and they find their way inside the dumpster to get to it but then cannot find a way out. Dumpsters cannot be easily knocked down like trashcans but they do hold a significant amount of garbage which is what attracted the raccoon to it in the first place. One man's garbage is another's treasure, so to speak.
3. Snare pole. This is a professional stick with a rope like structure on one end, used for placing around the animals' neck or body. This is very dangerous since you may force the raccoon to attack when it sees the snare pole. You do not want to free the raccoon and then have it bite you. If you do decide to use this, it would be safer if you place the raccoon immediately into a cage and either call the wildlife authorities or release it far away from residential areas.
4. Gloves. If the raccoon is injured, it would not be able to climb out of the dumpster even if you put in aids such as more garbage or a tree branch for it to climb on. If you clad yourself in thick, bite proof gloves and clothing, you can take the chance to bodily lift it out of the dumpster. Remember, you should not put yourself in unnecessary danger and take as much precaution as possible. It may seem docile at first and you would never know if it will attack.
5. Professionals. This can be the last option. Call the wildlife authorities. They would be able to remove it and would even give advice on how to prevent it from happening.
If you wish to learn more, click on the How to Get Rid of Raccoons in the Attic home page. For wildlife control, animal trapping services, and raccoon control in Bell County, Texas, call us at 254-534-6170, and ask to talk about raccoons in the attic in Killeen, TX.