24/7 Cell Phone: 469-606-2365
Frisco Texas Raccoon Control Situation: How to keep raccoons out of my garbage cans
Raccoons forage in garbage cans for food and the scent of raw meat, vegetables and fruits can attract them. You should try to deodorize your trashcan often so that food scent does not linger. There are several ways to keep raccoons out of garbage cans:
1. Raccoon repellent -you can purchase this at the store. Also known as eviction fluid, but it comes in a paste as well. It is made up of raccoon urine and gland secretions of raccoons. It is mainly used for getting rid of female raccoons who intend on creating a den on your property but it can be used to keep them out of your trash as well. When raccoons smell this, they would feel danger because another predator is around the area.
2. Ammonia -this is also another form of repellent. Raccoons dislike harsh scents and the scent of ammonia would repel them. Spray this around the area you keep your garbage can. Even around your yard as well for added precaution. This is a chemical solution so be careful. If you have other pets around, you may not want to choose this option.
3. Sturdy the can -while raccoons are good climbers, they can also topple your garbage can to get to the things that are stored in it. Ensure that your garbage can cannot move or be toppled over very easily. Raccoons have paws that work just as well as human hands but if you secure the trash can, they would not be able to topple it over.
4. Lock lids -this may seem unconventional, securing your lid with a lock, but it works to keep external elements out. You can also place bricks on your lid rather than using a lock. If they cannot open the kid, they cannot get to the garbage.
5. Pepper paste -another form of repellent. You can grind pepper, water and even garlic, then spray it around your trash can. This is more of a natural solution and can be made very easily. However, it can harm pets and even humans, so exercise caution when using it. Wear gloves and thoroughly wash your hands as this solution can burn your eyes.
6. Lights -raccoons dislike the light and may easily scare from flashes of bright lights. You can place your trash under bright light or a sensor that triggers the light on and off.
7. Noise -play a radio to keep the raccoon at bay. Raccoons do not like noise which is probably why they mostly come out in the quiet of the night when looking for food. Set up a radio to play next to your trash. The raccoon may think that humans are there and would not attempt to go near the trash.
If you want a more permanent solution, I would suggest that you contact the local animal control. They would set traps and give you advice on what to do to keep raccoons out of your yard. Raccoons are wild animals that carry many diseases, even their excretion contains roundworm which are harmful to humans and pets.
If you wish to learn more, click on the How to Get Rid of Raccoons in the Attic home page. For wildlife control, animal trapping services, and raccoon control in Collin County, Texas, call us at 469-606-2365, and ask to talk about raccoons in the attic in Frisco, TX.